Which shows the following chart:
|From Version||To Version|
Upgrade URL to fire the install:
I was currently working with version 4.9.1 for our client and going from one version to another just seemd like such a pain. Especially since the scripts sometimes fail for no reason and when run again, run fine. So I went from 4.09.01 to 5.06.02 and the script ran but the HTML_Community core module kept failing durring the upgrade, it was the only failure in my logs.
I found the error eventually, and it turns out one of our vendors had added a Full Text Index on the HTML_Text table. Once I removed the FULL TEXT from the table and reran the upgrade, direct from 4.9.1 to 5.6.3, it ran without any errors at all.
While I believe the upgrade path is good advice if you have issues, I would recommend doing a direct upgrade to the latest first, if you get errors then follow the upgrade path, elsewise, save yourself some time and try the latest stable version upgrade first.