infolink

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Do not disable Superfetch in Windows 7 for Speed improvements EVER

Many of us at some time or another feel that our system has slowed down and it would be best to do some tweaks. Well my Windows 7 installation is over a year old and I have worked with 100s of projects on it and installed a lot of supporting software. So after following much advice on the web to try to speed up Visual Studio and Windows 7, it didn't get much faster.
 I eventually came across a discussion about SuperFetch and the benefits of keeping it enabled, yet most of the other info out there had recommended disabling it. Well I have had SuperFetch disabled for some time, most likely pre- Windows 7 SP1.
Today I enabled it again, holy crap did it make a difference. Took a full two minutes off my boot time and applications do seem to load faster. Let alone my Visual Studio project I am currently working in, which is quite large, is no longer hanging telling me Visual Studio is not responding.
So please, learn from my mistake, research all tweaks before you go off some bloggers advice. Do not disable SuperFetch in Windows 7!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon1