infolink

Thursday, March 17, 2011

HTTPS SSL not working since making Google Chrome my default browser

Earn easy money advertising on your blog or website: Click Here to learn more.

I decided the other day to make Google Chrome browser my default web browser. I then noticed later in the day, any HTTPS site I visited, I got an error telling me the site was unavailable through any web browser.
I did Install IE 9 and did a few Windows Updates after installing Google Chrome.

I did a system restore in Windows 7. I went back prior to the IE9 install and after a reboot the problem still occurred.

I then figured since it was just HTTPS, SSL driven sites that there must be an issue with encryption. I went into Google Chrome to see what was going on and noticed that in the setting Use TLS 1.0 and SSL 3.0 were unchecked. Once I checked these SSL started to work.

To get to the settings for SSL and TLS, Click on the wrench. Then goto Settings on the menu. At the bottom of the form click show advanced settings. Scroll down to the Network section. Click on change proxy settings. Now the internet properties dialog comes up. Click the Advanced tab. Scroll down and you can set SSL and TLS there.
I cannot fathom why when making Google Chrome my default browser would affect all my other browsers SSL settings. Sounds strange but  by simply checking those two boxes for SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 fixed my issue with SSL driven sites.

Earn easy money advertising on your blog or website: Click Here to learn more.

8 comments:

  1. how do i check theHTTPS,SSL or

    how do i know its unchecked.
    i do have a prob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Divyan,

    Click on the wrench. Then goto Settings on the menu. At the bottom of the form click show advanced settings. Scroll down to the Network section. Click on change proxy settings. Now the internet properties dialog comes up. Click the Advanced tab. Scroll down and you can set SSL and TLS there.

    Any issues let me know.

    Thanks,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI - It's Options (not Settings), then Under the Hood, then Network --> Chnage proxy settings, then the Advanced tab..

    However, both my boxes for SSL 3.0 and TSL 1.0 are checked but I still had the problem, so don't know what now...:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same problem here.
    Thanks that was very helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candiman,

      Very glad I could help.

      Thank you,
      James Campbell
      MCP, MCSA, MCSE, Security +

      Delete
  5. how do i change these settings in version 22.0.1229.94 m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luis,

      Uou can do it here under network settings:

      chrome://chrome/settings/

      Show Advanced settings

      Under Network

      Change proxy settings

      Advanced tab and check the boxes there.

      Another way now is you can go into your control panel and choose internet options(View small icons) and then click the advanced tab. Check that both Use SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 are at least checked under security.

      If this doesn't fix it for you please let me know.

      Thank you,
      James Campbell
      MCP, MCSA, MCSE, Security +


      Delete
  6. Unknown,

    It may now be located there, at the time of this posting it was in a different location, either way, the point is to turn it on and it seems to fix it. From what I have gathered this problem has not been in the newer versions, but surely something to check if you have this issue.

    In your situation, do you run through a router? Have you tried direct connection if so. Also you can try disabling any firewall and see if that helkps to bring it back.

    Let me know if any of that helps.

    Another option is to uninstall Chrome all together and see if it starts working again.


    Thank you,
    James Campbell
    MCP, MCSA, MCSE, Security +

    ReplyDelete

Amazon1