infolink

Friday, March 25, 2011

How to fix the Indexing Service in Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2 when it hangs

I was having some issues with Ektron CMS.NET and it's search API. While building and rebuilding Catalogs it started hanging the Indexing service. I read several posts that suggested deleting the catalogs, but I was not clear on all there locations as the IIS server has 39 websites. So after playing around a bit I found an easy way to delete these catalogs even when the service hangs from within the MMC.
Here are the steps:

• Open the MMC and expand the node for the index service.
• Now open the task manager (CTR+ALT+DEL)
• End task on CISVC.EXE
• Now run Services.msc
• Start the indexing services.
• Go back to your MMC instance and it should not be hanging anymore.

Now you can delete your catalogs, but note you must stop the service again if you want a copy of the catalog before you delete or move. I had t delete and recreate all mine and it no longer hung. It looks like one of my catalogs was corrupt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon1