Friday, March 25, 2011

How to fix the Indexing Service in Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2 when it hangs

I was having some issues with Ektron CMS.NET and it's search API. While building and rebuilding Catalogs it started hanging the Indexing service. I read several posts that suggested deleting the catalogs, but I was not clear on all there locations as the IIS server has 39 websites. So after playing around a bit I found an easy way to delete these catalogs even when the service hangs from within the MMC.
Here are the steps:

• Open the MMC and expand the node for the index service.
• Now open the task manager (CTR+ALT+DEL)
• End task on CISVC.EXE
• Now run Services.msc
• Start the indexing services.
• Go back to your MMC instance and it should not be hanging anymore.

Now you can delete your catalogs, but note you must stop the service again if you want a copy of the catalog before you delete or move. I had t delete and recreate all mine and it no longer hung. It looks like one of my catalogs was corrupt.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

HTTPS SSL not working since making Google Chrome my default browser

Earn easy money advertising on your blog or website: Click Here to learn more.

I decided the other day to make Google Chrome browser my default web browser. I then noticed later in the day, any HTTPS site I visited, I got an error telling me the site was unavailable through any web browser.
I did Install IE 9 and did a few Windows Updates after installing Google Chrome.

I did a system restore in Windows 7. I went back prior to the IE9 install and after a reboot the problem still occurred.

I then figured since it was just HTTPS, SSL driven sites that there must be an issue with encryption. I went into Google Chrome to see what was going on and noticed that in the setting Use TLS 1.0 and SSL 3.0 were unchecked. Once I checked these SSL started to work.

To get to the settings for SSL and TLS, Click on the wrench. Then goto Settings on the menu. At the bottom of the form click show advanced settings. Scroll down to the Network section. Click on change proxy settings. Now the internet properties dialog comes up. Click the Advanced tab. Scroll down and you can set SSL and TLS there.
I cannot fathom why when making Google Chrome my default browser would affect all my other browsers SSL settings. Sounds strange but  by simply checking those two boxes for SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 fixed my issue with SSL driven sites.

Earn easy money advertising on your blog or website: Click Here to learn more.