infolink

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Solution for Error Mounting drive the NTFS partition is in an unsafe state in Linux

I am currently dual booting between Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux 14.04.

Everything was fine until today, I booted into Windows 10 and it ran some updates. I then rebooted into Linux and could no longer access my non Linux partitions.

I then started to get the error Unable to access "DRIVE NAME" Error mounting /dev/sda# as /location. Windows is hibernated, refused to mount. Failed to mount '/dev/sda#/' Operation not permitted The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully(no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read only with the 'ro' mount option.

Well I could have just mounted the drive read only and copied everything off of the partition, reformat and then start all over, but considering I did nothing to cause this error and it may happen again I needed a quick fix for this issue now and in the future. So after some research and tinkering around I found that I could fix this error using ntfsfix

So at the terminal I typed sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda9 and saw the following:

Mounting volume... The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. FAILED
Attempting to correct errors...
 Processing $MFT and $MFTMirr...
Reading $MFT... OK
Reading $MFTMirr... OK
Comparing $MFTMirr to $MFT... OK
Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
Setting required flags on partition... OK
Going to empty the journal ($LogFile)... OK
Checking the alternate boot sector... OK
NTFS volume version is 3.1.

Once it ran, I could now mount the drive and read it no problem.

 Hope this saves someone else some time.
Buy Me a Beer


No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon1