I decided the other day to make Google Chrome browser my default web browser. I then noticed later in the day, any HTTPS site I visited, I got an error telling me the site was unavailable through any web browser.
I did Install IE 9 and did a few Windows Updates after installing Google Chrome.
I did a system restore in Windows 7. I went back prior to the IE9 install and after a reboot the problem still occurred.
I then figured since it was just HTTPS, SSL driven sites that there must be an issue with encryption. I went into Google Chrome to see what was going on and noticed that in the setting Use TLS 1.0 and SSL 3.0 were unchecked. Once I checked these SSL started to work.
To get to the settings for SSL and TLS, Click on the wrench. Then goto Settings on the menu. At the bottom of the form click show advanced settings.
Scroll down to the Network
section. Click on change proxy settings. Now the internet properties dialog comes up. Click the Advanced tab.
Scroll down and you can set SSL and TLS there.
I cannot fathom why when making Google Chrome my default browser would affect all my other browsers SSL settings. Sounds strange but by simply checking those two boxes for SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 fixed my issue with SSL driven sites.